Written by Alyssa Burley.
According to the San Diego County News Center, within the budget, $58.7 million is allocated towards transportation and infrastructure projects:
- $24 million – Maintaining Roads
- $13.3 million – Road Reconstruction and Improvements
- $1.3 million – New Sidewalks and Pathways
- $1.8 million – Traffic Signal Improvements
- $6.6 million – Intersection Improvements
- $3.2 million – Drainage Improvements
- $8.5 million – Ensure County Bridges Remain Structurally Sound and Safe
This means the region will need to ensure local construction aggregates supplies are available for these projects.
If new rock quarries are not permitted in the county, the region will face an 83% shortfall in construction aggregates needed in the next 50 years, according to the San Diego 2050 Regional Transportation Plan.
Alyssa Burley is the community outreach and marketing manager for EnviroMINE, Inc.