Dr. Danny B. Sims
Professional Geologist (AZ, OR, CA)
Engineering Geologist (CA)
Dr. Danny Sims has worked in the natural resources industry since 1987. His breadth of experience in the mining industry, including work as an exploration and engineering geologist and an Arizona mining attorney, provides comprehensive understanding of technical, regulatory and business aspects of mining. His analysis of mining properties has helped many clients to make informed exploration and mining decisions and to optimize their resources.
EnviroMINE, Inc., Associate
San Diego, California, 2017-present
Dr. Sims performs material characterization for aggregate and cement resources; evaluates property potential for aggregate, industrial minerals and metals; and maps and interprets geology for mine-related environmental remediation.
- His mapping, sampling and petrographic work provides necessary context for understanding ASTM test results at a deposit-wide scale so that the test results can be made useful and applied appropriately.
Sims Geological Services, Consulting Geologist
Poway, California, 1994-present
- Map and interpret geology for slope stability and mine design.
- Perform slope stability analysis for mine design and reclamation plans.
EnergySource, LLC, Consulting Geologist (2009-2011), Vice President (2011-2014)
San Diego, California, 2009-2014
- Directed consultants and employees, and provided technical support for a 50 MW geothermal power plant located in Imperial County, California.
- Developed well targets using seismic reflection magnetotellurics, gravity, air and ground magnetics, seismology, geochemistry, various petrophysical tools, InSAR, and Leapfrog 3D modeling software.
Paramount Gold and Silver, Inc., Senior Technical Advisor
Phoenix, Arizona, 2007-2009
- Directed consultants in preparation of Canadian NI 43-101 complaint resource estimates reports and in compliance with assay quality assurance and quality control protocols.
- Developed structural geology and geochemical models to guide regional exploration for vein and prophyry copper deposits and provided deposit-scale drill targets in the Sierra Madre region of Mexico.
Ryley Carlock & Applewhite, Associate, Litigation and Natural Resources
Phoenix, Arizona, 2005-2006
- Performed comprehensive due dilligence, including evaluation of environmental liability, for the purchase of several historic mine properties.
- Developed argument that resulted in summary judgment in a mining claim dispute.
Call & Nicholas, Inc., Associate Geologist (1994-1997) Shareholder (1998-2001)
Tucson, Arizona, 1994-2001
- Mapped underground mines, pre-mine surfaces, and over 200 linear miles of open pit mine bench faces for structure and rock strength to support geotechnical analysis for slope design.
- Assisted mine geologists in development of geological models for slope stability analysis.
- Supervised standard and oriented core drilling and core logging.
- Taught mapping courses at mines, and at the request of the SME, published a paper describing state-of-the -art structure mapping methods for slope stability (Nicholas and Sims, 2000)
University of Arizona Department of Mining and Geological Engineering, Adjunct Assistant Professor
Tucson, Arizona, 2003
- Developed curriculum and taught the Geological Engineering Field Camp.
University of Arizona Department of Geosciences, Research and teaching Assistant,
Tuscon, Arizona, 1991-1995
- Taught Geology Field Camps, Structural Geology and Physical Geology Labs.
Cominco American Inc., Geologist and Funded Ph.D. Research
Red Dog Mine, Alaska, 1989-1990
- Logged thousands of feet of core and standardized logging at the Red Dog deposit.
- Worked with CSIRO to design and perform a petrologic and petrographic material characterization study to help increase recovery at Red Dog.
Cominco Alaska Exploration, Geologist
Anchorage, Alaska, 1989-1990
- Performed helicopter-supported mineral exploration throughout the Alaska Range, Talkeetna Range, Kuskokwim Range and Alaska Peninsula.
Newmont Exploration Ltd., Geologist
Elko, Nevada, 1987-1988
- Performed exploration and submittal evaluation for sediment-hosted gold deposits in northeastern Nevada.
- Mapped and sampled historic underground mines and supervised reverse circulation drilling.
University of Arizona, J.D., Emphasis on Environmental Law and Natural Resources, 2005
University of Arizona, Ph.D., Economic and Structural Geology, 1996
University of Arizona, M.S., Economic and Structural Geology, 1993
University of Cincinnati, B.S., Geology, 1987
Professional Geologist: California, Arizona, and Oregon
Certified Engineering Geologist: California
Society of Economic Geologists, Fellow Member
Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration
40 hour Hazardous Materials First Responder and Hazardous Materials Industrial Technician Certification.
REPRESENTATIVE CLIENTS SERVED THROUGH CALL & NICHOLAS, INC., SIMS GEOLOGICAL SERVICES AND ENVIROMINE, INC. (1994-PRESENT)
Cement, Aggregate, Industrial Minerals:
Agrium Inc., ID' Lehigh Southwest Cement, CA; Nordic Industries, CA; Rio Tinto Kennecott, Canada; Superior Ready Mix, CA; TMDR Alberhill LLC, CA; U.S. Borax/Rio Tinto Technical Services.
ArcelorMittal Sonora, Mexico; BHP, AZ; Compania Minera Maricunga, Chile; Cyprus Mining Corp., AZ; Freeport McMoRan Inc., Indonesia; Golden Queen Mining Co. CA; Hycroft Resources Co.,NV; Minera Alumbrera Ltd., Argentina; Minera Aurifera Santa Rosa, Peru; Phelps Dodge Corp., AZ and NM; Santa Fe Pacific Gold Corp., NV; Southern Peru Copper Corp., Peru; Sunshine Precious Metals Inc., Argentina; Thompson Creek Mining Co., ID
Catalyst Geothermal LLC, UT; CHAR LLC, ID; Olene Gap Geothermal LLC, OR.
*No Legal services are offered and there is no intention to provide legal services or legal advice in communications with Danny Sims.
*No attorney- client relationship can be created in communications with Danny Sims.